Did you know that once a month our playgroup is sensory bin themed? Check out this article for a how-to guide on a birds nest themed sensory bin.
A sensory bin is typically a plastic tub or container filled with materials and objects. Sensory bins provide children with the opportunity to explore and learn through hands-on tactile play that engages their senses. Try this birds nest-themed sensory bin.
What you'll need:
- A container - We recommend a large shallow container. We use a container with dimensions approx: 29"W x 18"L x 6"H. The shallower container is great for little arms to reach over. Know that you can scale this down and use a take-out container, or shoe box.
- Tools - Search your cupboards for tools that you already have on hand. Think measuring cups, spoons, funnels, easter eggs for scooping, etc.
- Filler - Birdseed
- Fake Feathers- Find them at your favorite online store or local hobby store.
- Coffee filters or baking cups -These items will represent the nest.
- Misc items. Think shredded paper, pipe cleaners, pom-poms, easter eggs. These items are used to represent twigs, leaves, and other items that you may find in a nest.
Once you have all your items, put them all in your container. Let your kid explore. Remember, you are the best model for your child! Play, explore and learn right beside them.
Does your kid love sensory bins? Then check out our EVENT SCHEDULE for our next upcoming sensory bin playgroup.